Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Focus on writing

The past few days, I have been focused on writing with a break in my volunteer work. I was almost finished writing the draft of my first western "Saddle Spur" when my mind told me that it needed to be scrapped and rewritten. So that is what I am doing. Rewriting the story to engage the reader better instead of telling the story, I am showing it. For all you newbie writers out there, one thing is clear or at least you must make it clear. Not just tell your story, show it in an way that makes the reader not want to put it down until the last page is read. I pulled up "Saddle Spur" the other day and started reading, Ho-hum it didn't engage me, hence the rewrite. Writing is a endless process that strives to improve from one book to another. For those writing their first book, it is not enough to get it done, you must go back and rewrite and rewrite until it is the best it can be then engage an editor. Every set of eyes that can look at your book before it is published, is great. Each reader will see the little things that you may get wrong before the book is published. Just remember there is millions of books out there crying for the readers attention. I know it is hard to stand out above the crowd but with a lot of hard work, it can happen.

Talk back, I'm listening and have a great week.  

No comments:

Post a Comment